WORLD SICKLE CELL DAY:
ANNUAL AWARENESS 5K WALK/RUN
June 9, 2018 at Palmer Park
Starting at the Splash Park (Pontchartrain and Merrill Plaisance)
5K Registration fee: $20
Run Registration: 8:00am, Run Begins 8:30am
Walk Registration: 9:00am, Walk Begins 9:30am
On June 9, 2018 the Sickle Cell Disease Association of America, Michigan Chapter (SCDAAMI) will host our annual walk/run at Palmer Park in Detroit from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. in observance of World Sickle Cell Day, which is on June 19th. The theme of the walk/run is “#Sickle Cell Matters.”
Things you need to know:
- You can register to walk/run and purchase t-shirts at www.scdaami.org or at the SCDAAMI office at 18516 James Couzens Fwy. Detroit, 48235
- The starting point and the registration table will be located near the Splash Pad where parking is available in the adjacent lot and on the street.
- On-line pre-registration ends June 7th but you can register in the office up to 5pm on June 8th.
- On-site registration on June 9th is from 7:30-8 a.m.
- The run begins at 8:30 a.m. and the walk will start at 9:30 a.m.
If you are unable to make the walk, we are asking you to get as many friends, family and supporters as possible to purchase our commemorative #SickleCellMatters t-shirt and wear it with pride on June 19th World Sickle Cell Day! Spread the word and go to www.sicklecellmatters.net and for $18 they can purchase the shirt in a variety of colors today!
We want people to recognize this is an important day and to see us wearing our t-shirts everywhere: at work, in the schools, at the grocery stores, in the malls and on the streets across Michigan. #SickleCellMatters is a movement and we want everyone to feel our presence on this day!
Should you have any further questions about this year’s walk, please contact our Director of Outreach & Operations, Tracee D. Patterson at (313) 864-4406.
With your help and support, together we can raise more awareness and break the sickle cell cycle!