Don't miss out on the education opportunity in the apple orchards on Saturday, August 22nd from 1:00 pm- 3:00 pm. Keep Growing Detroit is partnering with People for Palmer Park to demonstrate the many apple products you can make- including sauce, cider, vinegar and more! Classes are $3 for Garden Resource Program members and $5 for non members.
Some of the tasks we will be working on in the garden now include:
- Weeding the pumpkin patch, raised beds and pathways.
- Spreading mulch around the raised beds.
- Deadheading flowers.
- Monitoring and treating pests (cabbage worms, aphids, cucumber beetle, japanese beetle, potato beetle, etc.)
- Seeding and transplanting various veggies, including our cold crops like broccoli and kale.
- Staking and pruning tomatoes.
- Harvesting beans, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, greens, radishes, carrots and more!
- Trash pickup.
Contact: Lindsay Page, email@example.com or 248.444.8883 for more information!
NOTE: Many of these to-dos are very kid-friendly. Also, great community service work for teens. Now that school's out, why not set aside a little time together and volunteer an hour or two? We'd just love to meet some new folks who like to get their hands dirty, who love being outdoors and who love Palmer Park! Remember, those who volunteer can share in its harvest!