The Palmer Park Farmers Market Manager is a part-time position with the purpose to coordinate a weekly Farmers Market and manage the daily operations of the market from setup to tear down during the day of the market. Working in partnership with People for Palmer Park (PFPP), the Market Manager will develop an outreach plan and carry out a seasonal plan for Palmer Park Farmer’s Market. The Market Manager will need to identify and solicit vendors and provide consistent and clear communication with those vendors, including getting applications completed and payments received. Vendors may include farmers, food or dessert providers, flower or plant vendors, and more. The Market Manager will also maintain state contacts, and work with PFPP on community volunteers. The Market Manager will strategize to offer experiences that promote healthy and active lifestyles in and around Palmer Park by collaborating with community partners in the area.
Duties and responsibilities
- Identify, solicit and get complete applications and rental fees from market vendors.
- Periodically, recruit new vendors as stalls are available and keeps a record of goods to be sold by these vendors to provide a select variety of merchandise to the public.
- Operate the Wednesday market from open to close early June to late September: Market setup, assigning stalls to all vendors, answering guest questions, working with volunteers.
- Maintain good working relationships with guests, volunteers and vendors.
- Develop a social media and market outreach promotion plan to surrounding communities.
- Maintain all market records necessary for the market including sales, receipts, and invoices, snap benefit records and accounts, and coordinates all financial activities with PFPP.
- Manage volunteer staffing and training: intaking new volunteer requests during the market, onboarding vetted volunteers, and performance feedback.
- Directs the distribution/arrangement of all vehicles on the market premises or grounds.
- Upon closing, inspect stalls to ensure vendors have left the area in a clean and orderly condition.
- Verifies that all local, state, and federal laws are observed, all licenses and permits are valid and current for prepared food and meat vendors and maintains files of the same.
- Education: GED or higher
- Specialized Knowledge/Experience: 2+ years applied experience in agriculture, produce marketing, nutrition, dietetics, program development or other applicable fields. Preferable to have farmers market admin experience.
- Skills/Abilities: Leadership, effective problem solving, creative thinking, self-motivation, organizational skills, clear and effective communication, passion and dedication to helping others. - Generate a positive attitude over a long period of time.
- Working conditions: This position requires regular attendance every Wednesday for market operation. You must be able to pleasantly work with the diverse guests and personalities that attend the market. Ideally, this position begins on April 15, 2022, with 12 weeks being direct management of the active market as the market does not open until early July. The remaining weeks are planning and reporting. Approximately 10-20 hours/week.
- Physical requirements: Ability to lift 50 pounds, do repetitive tasks and stand for long periods of time.
- Direct reports: The Market Manager reports directly to the People for Palmer Park designated board members.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Nikolette Barnes at email@example.com. Application deadline extended to April 15, 2022.
Download a copy of this job description