The garden vegetables (and weeds!) have been exploding because of all the wonderful rain. The tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, beans and pumpkins are forming beautiful flowers and will soon be juicy, tasty treats! Saturday volunteer hours are still standing from 10 am- 1pm for the rest of the summer-although I will not be there July 4th or July 18th due to previous commitments. Remember that any length of time you can spend in the garden tending to the daily garden tasks means you get to share in the generous bounty!
Some of the tasks that need to be completed include:
- Continuing to weed the orchards, pumpkin patch and garden pathways
- Spreading sand and then mulch underneath the rain water collection system
- Deadheading flowers
- Monitoring and treating pests (cabbage worms, aphids, Colorado potato beetle, cucumber beetle)
- Continuing to move the benches from the pool house to the garden
- Seeding greens
- Staking and pruning tomatoes
- Trash pickup
Veggies that are ready to harvest include:
Kale, swiss chard, spinach, collards, broccoli, turnips, herbs and more!
A HUGE thank you to all of those who continue to be engaged in the garden every week... your dedication is inspiring.
Contact Lindsay Page at firstname.lastname@example.org or 248-444-8883 with any questions.
Looking forward to seeing your smiling faces soon!